Your back right molar has given you trouble your entire life – you’ve had filling after filling placed, but the tooth just seems weaker than the rest. You’d like to find a permanent solution to address the compromised dentition once and for all, but having it removed doesn’t make a lot of sense. What can you do? You can see the team at New York Family Dental Arts to learn more about your options. In this post, they explain what a dental crown in the Upper East Side can do for you, and how CEREC speeds up the process.
WHAT IS A DENTAL CROWN?
As your premier dentist in the Upper East Side, Dr. Vaiman and Dr. Kessler describe a crown as essentially a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth. They restore the shape and size of the tooth, and also make your smile look great because we use aesthetically pleasing porcelain. They’re usually used when a cavity is too large to be treated with a filling, to protect a weak tooth, or to cover a tooth that’s broken or has undergone root canal therapy.
WHAT PROBLEMS DO DENTAL CROWNS ADDRESS?
Crowns are the superior treatment option for many dental situations. They’re use to:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Hold a broken tooth together
- Repair a tooth that’s worn down significantly
- Support a tooth with a large filling
- Correct discolored or misshapen teeth
- Make cosmetic modifications
- Cover a tooth that has undergone root canal therapy
- Cover a dental implant
- Protect children from tooth decay
WHAT IS CEREC?
CEREC is a revolutionary technology that provides a long-lasting porcelain dental crown in one dental visit. CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics (also known as CE-ramic REC-onstruction). When you visit us, you’ll go through the following process for your same-day crown:
- A digital camera will take a detailed picture of your mouth and the tooth that needs repaired.
- An advanced computer software will then convert that picture into the dental crown that’s right for you.
- Our dentists will prepare your tooth to make it ready for the placement of the CEREC crown.
- An in-office milling unit will create your perfectly designed crown from a single block of porcelain – all right there in our office, at the same appointment.
WHY IS CEREC SUPERIOR TO TRADITIONAL CROWNS?
Traditional crowns are a drawn-out process. At your first visit, your tooth would be prepared, you’d have a molded impression taken to assist in making the crown, and that impression would be sent off to the lab.
You’d have a temporary crown placed and then you’d be sent home to wait. After the lab finally completed your crown – a couple weeks later – you’d go back to the office for a second visit to have the permanent crown placed.
While traditional crowns work just fine, there is a true difference in the patient experience when working with us for restorative dental care. Who wants to come back for another visit when this technology makes a second appointment unnecessary?
CEREC offers a convenient, long-lasting solution without the messy impression in the very same office visit. Don’t believe us? See for yourself – watch this quick video from The Doctors TV show on how this same-day solution performs.
Now that you know how CEREC dental crowns can benefit you, schedule your appointment with New York Family Dental Arts today and bring back your ideal smile!